Saturday, April 14, 2007

2nd Day in the States

We left Needles for Williams, AZ. On the way to Williams, We dropped off the Highway Route 40 at Seligman. Seligman is not so popular for Japanese tourists because there are not any for tourists' attractions. But not a few Japanese who want to drive in America know Route 66 as the Main Street of America, the Mother Road.
Route 66 was a major path of the migrants who went west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and supported the economies of the communities through which the road passed. People became prosperous due to the growing popularity of the highway, and those same people later fought to keep the highway alive even with the growing threat of the new Interstate Highway System.
Route 66 originally ran from Chicago, Illinois through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California before ending at Los Angeles for a total of 2,448 miles or 3,939 km. (Information Source Wikipedia)


I went to the States for the first time when I was 29 years old on business. I was surprised and impressed by many things. Among them, one of amazing things to me was a sandwich I bought in Minneapolis that contained very thick ham. Even after coming back to Japan I sometimes remembered it. This time, I bought it to my family members. I asked them how they felt it. Daughters said that one piece of ham was enough for a sandwich. What do you think?

After arriving in Williams, we drove to the Grand Canyon to see sunset. But, it was cloudy and sometimes raining. Anyway we could see a spectacular scenery of the Canyon.

We stayed at Canyon County Inn in Williams. The inn was about 100 km away from the Grand Canyon. It was very nice lodge. But, I thought if I had booked a closer hotel to the Grand Canyon I could have spent longer time there.


2 comments:

Michel Lafleur said...

Hey Ray!

Looks like you guys had a veeeery nice trip! I am jealous!

Unfortunately, this is goodbye! Our flight leaves on Wednesday afternoon. I will be back to visit though, so keep in touch! And I look forward to continue reading your blog from Canada.

Say hello to your family for me!
Michel

godzilla_rabbit said...

Hi Michel,
Thanks for your comment.
I wish your super wonderful life in Canada.
Please let me know when you visit Japan in the future.
Bye
Ray