Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Powerful Earthquake Hits My Town, Utsunomiya.

When I was working, suddenly a strong quake hit my office. My colleagues and I hid ourselves under each one’s desk.
In the meanwhile, not part but the whole ceiling in my office room collapsed and fell from the above.

White dust smoke covered our room. I heard one of women in the office was crying. After the big trembler ceased, I heard a voice asking me help. I removed a big fragment of ceiling covering his desk and rescued him who was trapped.
Then, I saw that some PC monitors fell but still kept emitting lights between broken ceiling boards on desks in the dark.
My boss, my department manager, a division manager who was holding hands of crying woman, colleagues and I barely escaped from the 4th floor of the building in a heavy white dust smoke and various piles of rubble.

On hearing a big sound of falling the ceiling and having kept my body in a small space beneath my desk, I thought a death myself as reality for the first time in my life.

I was very scared at the time but all my family members are safe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thankfully you and your family are safe Ray. For me to watch it on the tv I sure do not have the courage to face such natural disasters, hearing the noises the quake makes is nothing compare to being there. My heart goes to you, your family and all of the people of Japan for your courage, bravery and resilience.