Sunday, June 01, 2008

Day Trip to Nikko

Friends of my mother-in-law, Judy and John who live in Australia came to Utsunomiya last week. My wife and I went to Nikko shrines, Cider Tree Park and Ohya Stone Park with them.
Nikko Toshogu shrine, Futarasan shrine and Rinnoji temple were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. My wife often goes there but I haven’t been there since about ten years ago. This time, we bought multiple tickets for shines and temples in the area, so we stayed there about three to four hours, watching the wonderful heritage built in the year 786 to 1617.
Judy and John have retired from a primary school working as a teacher and a principal in Australia. They have now ample time to do what they want. That’s really wonderful. I asked them how many countries they have been so far. Judy answered, “Too many, Can’t count, lol.”
My mother-in-law also loves traveling all over the world. She retired as a highs school teacher from schools in Tokyo.
Overseas traveling must be a nice pastime after retirement. I think that I have to save energy for traveling many countries even after retirement needless to say to save energy for playing tennis. hahaha.

No comments: