Monday, September 17, 2007

Today is Respect-for-the-Aged Day in Japan

Today is the national holiday of Respect-for-the-Aged Day, which honors and shows respect to the aged. I don't know there is a similar holiday in other countries.
Do you know how many people aged 80 or older in Japan?
According to figures released by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, the number has topped 7 million, almost 4 times as many as the population of Tochigi prefecture. I'm not sure that I can outlive 80, but I want to be a man being able to do anything he wants to do, even aged.

Midori Ishii, she is a famous dancer in Tochigi, now living in Tokyo held a performance in Utsunomiya city today.
She was born in Utsunomiya in 1913 and now 94 years old.
Her daughter is also a dancer, made a speech and explained some parts of her dances choreographed by her mother.
All dances including her apprentices’ were splendid.

Actually, my wife went to the performance instead of me.
I think being involved in one’s work at that age should be respected.

Happy Respect-for-the-Aged Day!

The picture on the top left was taken in Tokyo in 2006 when she was 93 years old.
Photographer: unknown

---

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought that "Respect for the Aged" day was a great holiday in Japan as it made one think about the contributions of the older generation. There should be similar holiday here in the US and all countries for that matter!

Pachipro

godzilla_rabbit said...

Thanks Pachipro for a comment,

Japanese government usually takes action slowly, though it makes a new holiday quickly. :-)
I hope “Respect for Your Family” Day comes in Japan soon. lol

Ray