Sunday, May 01, 2011

Memory of Matsue Castle

Like every city does so, my hometown Matsue city has changed a lot in several decades. How has it changed? It became easier to drive, having wider streets, tourist friendly signs and information offices, having lots of well-known franchised shops like McDonalds and Starbucks, and newly built attractions for tourists.

I’m happy and proud of seeing those changes but, at the same time, I feel sad that well known narrow streets disappeared, small parks I used to play were replaced with tall buildings’ site and large supermarkets drove away small mama-and-papa shops.
I took the first picture from a Matsue-Ohashi bridge viewing Mt. Daisen to the east. There must not have been such big electricity towers.

Second picture was taken at the front yard of Matsue Castle. There were play fields and tennis courts there thirty-five years ago. I used to play baseball with my classmates after school. That was great fun to me at that time. But now, ball games inside castle site are prohibited.

Castle tower viewing from an opening between cherry blossoms is a few exceptions of unchanged scenes in downtown of Matsue.

I realize that I can go back to my current home town but can NOT go back to the city I lived forty years ago.
-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I share the same sentiments as you Ray. Last month I went back to my country to visit my family. The village where I was born no longer exists, instead what I see is just nothing but a vast space of water (the river) the shops I used to go to no longer opens, some of them have changed, the quarry no longer stands but i was told by my father part of the wet market is still there but its not the same to me. He drove around the small alleys where I used to remember what was around that alley and my father remembered what shops used to run there ..the place where I grew up is no longer there, so yes I can back to my current home town but I, too, cannot go back to the village where I was born anymore ...