Sunday, March 01, 2009

Ofuda: Paper Having Holy or Magical Spells

My mother living in western Japan Shimane prefecture sent us Ofuda last week.
She sends Ofuda every year in this season.

Ofda is a strip of paper or a piece of wood which has been blessed and sanctified by a Japanese Shinto priest or a Buddhist monk.

It's said that Ofuda is to bring the bearer good luck or protection against those with evil.

My mother, my brother and my sister living in Shimane are rather religious comparing with me.

The power of Ofuda expires at the end of the year so people must buy new ones for the New Year.
This custom has lasted over several hundred years in Japan, I guess, and is a very clever custom for sellers.

They are usually sold at shinto shrines or buddhist temples, recently they are sold on the web, too.
-
-

4 comments:

Washatawa said...

Here is a Rabbit Hutch Store. We sell rabbit hutches!

Anonymous said...

I like very much your paper o-fuda. Thanks for posting them: they are really beautiful. You are very lucky that your mother continues the tradition. What do they say? To what God or Shrine are they connected?

godzilla_rabbit said...

Thanks Origlam,
The ofuda are connected Koyasan.
You can enjoy visiting their site.

http://www.sekaiisan-koyasan.com/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! Nice visit.
So what are you doing with your ofuda this year?