Sunday, August 17, 2008

Staying in Shimane in Obon Period

We went back to my hometown Shimane prefecture with my family last week in Obon.

Obon is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the deceased spirits of our ancestors.

It is believed that these spirits return to their families during the period.

People return to ancestral family places and clean their ancestors' graves and make offerings of flowers and incense.

I went to my father's grave and made offerings, too.

To tell the truth, meeting with my family living in Shimane is more fun for me than religious ceremonies.

My mother is now 83 years old.
She can't walk easily now but always welcomes our visit. We stayed just three nights there and came back here before the traffic becoming crazy crowded.

I really enjoyed visiting Shimane again.

Burning wood in the pan is called Mukaebi or welcoming fire. It is said that the fire illuminates the way to the home for the ancestors’ spirits.

No comments: