Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year! From Utsunomiya

A Happy New Year.
How do you guys spend your holidays? I have stayed in Utsunomiya and been relaxed since Dec. 29, 2007. I sleep more than eight hours a day, eat a lot of junk foods and spend long hours lazily.

I usually go on a trip if I have enough days off. Why have I stayed home during this vacation?
Since Emi, one of my daughters, has to take an entrance exam to a high school on this coming January 6th. For preparing the entrance exam, she has classes in a cram school during this winter vacation except January 1st.

One of my colleagues from Osaka who has a son of the same age also spends this holiday season in Utsunomiya because of his son’s entrance exam. Many Japanese spend New Year's holiday in their hometown, but most families having examinee(s) are the exceptions.

On January 1st, the day Emi didn’t have a class, we went to Fukudaya department store to buy Fukubukuro (Japanese: 福袋, lucky bag, mystery bag).
Buying Fukubukuro is a Japanese New Year's Day custom. Shop owners make bags filled with random contents and sell them for a substantial discount, usually 50% or more of the list price of the items. My family members except me like buying Fukubukuro very much. Buying Fukubukuro was the only pastime of this New Year’s vacation for them, especially for Emi.


Today, on January second, I went to a gym to exercise and to attend a Yoga lesson. It was good for my loosened body. I check my weight and found myself 2 Kg heavier than usual. I’ll resume working on January 8th. I may gain more if I continue spending days without any exercise. lol

No comments: