Monday, November 26, 2007

Hot Air Balloon International Championship


“Tochigi Hot Air Balloon International Championship” was held from November 21st to 25th in Utsunomiya city.
I got up early in the morning yesterday, even on Sunday and went to the taking-off place of the race, Kinu River with two daughters, Emi and Rina. The taking-off place is just 15 minutes away from home by car. It was sunny but freezing cold morning.

When I lived in Tokyo, about 20 years ago, I once rode a hot air balloon with my colleagues. I remember that it was also freezing cold in the morning.
I had come all the way from Tokyo to Watarase Swamp in Tochigi prefecture midnight. In the next morning, we prepared the flight before dawn and lifted off just when it was dawning. We watched the sunrise from the sky. It was amazingly beautiful.
I thought it was cold when we were flying because of the wind. But I could not feel the wind blowing while flying. Do you know why? The reason is simple. The hot air balloon flew at the same speed as that of the air or the wind.
Anyway, I was just a spectator of the race this time. I could not enjoy the view from the sky, though I enjoyed watching colorful balloons in the beautiful autumn sky. It’s worth getting up early on Sunday morning!


1 comment:

Yvoh Nakatani said...

I was looking here in Japan where i can ride a hot air balloon. Utsonomiya is too far from me. You mentioned that you once rode in Tokyo. May I know where in Tokyo..thanks in advance..